How to guide for dry herb vaporizers
WHAT IS A DRY HERB VAPORIZER?
A dry herb vaporizer is a device that heats up dry herbal flowers in order to create a gas (vapor) that contains plant material.
The flavours and aromas of the dry herb are extracted during the process, and users of this type of vaporizer will feel the effects when inhaling the vapor.
While there are some vaporizers that use an oil concentrate of cannabis in a cartridge, this type of vaporizer works with dry herbal flowers that are inserted into a chamber
TYPES OF DRY HERB VAPORIZERS
There are two main types of dry herb vaporizers available: portable and desktop.
A portable vaporizer is sometimes also called a vape pen and is compact in size. You can easily slip this lightweight device into a pocket or purse or stash it in a drawer at home when not in use.
It's easy to take with you on the go, making it great for taking small, quick hits here and there. Because it can only hold a small amount of ground herb, a portable dry herb vaporizer is best for solo use or sharing with one or two people.
Desktop dry herb vaporizers, on the other hand, are larger in size and have a plug-in power source. Most people only use this type of device at home since it's bulkier and requires more storage space.
It holds more ground herb than a portable vaporizer, which makes it ideally suited to longer, laid-back vaping sessions that can last for up to a few hours.
The technology in desktop devices is usually more advanced and more powerful compared to that of portable vape pens. You can take bigger hits, which produce more vapor when you use a desktop vape instead of a portable vape.
Though you can certainly use desktop vaporizers on your own for a solo vaping session, the larger size and powerful vaping capability also make these devices better for vaping with a group.
HOW DRY HERB VAPORIZERS WORK
Dry herb vaporizers are able to produce vapor clouds by heating up the herbal flowers that are inserted into the chamber.
However, there are two different methods used for heating the dry herb in this type of vaporizer: conduction and convection. The conduction method uses direct contact to heat up the dry herb inside the vaporizer. The heating chamber in a vaporizer that uses conduction heat typically includes an open flame heating plate. This combusts the herbal flower to produce the vapor cloud.
Vaporizers with convection heating, on the other hand, use liquid or gas to facilitate the movement of heat. Hot air is circulated over the dry herb each time you take a hit from your vaporizer. The herbal flower is not combusted using this method.
Overall, convection dry herb vaporizers are considered to be superior to conduction vaporizers. Because conduction vaporizers use direct heat, some portions of the cannabis flower in the chamber may become overheated.
This can produce an unpleasant burnt taste and reduce the quality of the vapor cloud. In addition, the heating plate can continue to burn your dry herb in between pulls, causing it to go to waste when your device is on but you're not actively vaping.
Conduction vaping devices are generally less expensive than convection dry herb vapes. They are easy to use, making them a popular choice for beginners. If you want to enjoy better-tasting vapor, vape slowly without worrying about your supply being wasted, and tinker with the temperature settings, it's worth paying a bit more for a conduction dry herb vaporizer instead.
VAPE PARTS AND ACCESSORIES
Most dry herb vaporizers contain the following parts:
- A ceramic or metal heating chamber
- A battery or an electric or butane heating source
- Charging cables or cords with outlet plugs
- A filter or fine screen
- A mouthpiece
These parts work together to heat the dry herb and produce a vape cloud. Some of the parts of your vaping device may be replaceable, such as the filter or the heating coils.
BENEFITS OF DRY HERB VAPORIZERS
Not sure whether dry herb vaping is right for you? This method of herbal consumption features a number of important benefits you'll want to carefully consider:
- Better taste: When herbal flowers are vaped instead of burned, the flavor is less harsh. In addition, vapor tastes smoother than smoke and is less likely to irritate the throat and lungs.
- Weaker smell: The aroma associated with herbs is more difficult to detect when you use a vaporizer. If you don't like the smell of herbs or you want your herbal use to be less noticeable, a vaporizer is a good choice.
- More discreet: In addition to lacking the strong aroma associated with smoking herb, vaping produces smaller clouds. This makes dry herb vaping a good choice for discreet herbal consumption.
- Portability: Portable devices are easy to take with you on the go. In addition, you can pack the chamber beforehand, eliminating the need to carry a container with your dry herb and other accessories like grinders when you want to consume herbs outside your home.
- Cleaner inhalation: Vaping heats only the active ingredients you want from your dry herb. When you vape instead of smoke, you get to enjoy the medical benefits and reduce the amount of carbon monoxide and benzene that you inhale. Therefore, dry herb vaping is associated with fewer negative health effects compared to smoking.
- Optimized dry herb use: You can enjoy the effects while using less dry herb by vaping rather than smoking. This is especially true when you use a convection vaporizer, which does not combust the herbal flower.
HOW TO USE A DRY HERB VAPORIZER
Are you ready to start vaping? Follow these steps to begin using your dry herb vaporizer:
- Grind the herb: If you haven't already, be sure to grind your dry herb before you begin vaping. You'll want a fine, even grind in order to experience a more enjoyable vaping experience.
- Fill the chamber: Remove the cap or cover on your vaporizer's dry herb chamber. Gently load the ground herb into the chamber using your fingers, a tiny scoop, or a small funnel. Don't overfill the chamber. With a conduction vaporizer, you can pack the chamber a little more tightly, but convection vaporizers need to allow room for air to pass through the chamber. Start with a looser pack when using a conduction vape.
- Heat up the vaporizer: A dry herb vaporizer needs a little time to heat up before you can begin using it. This may take anywhere from about 10 or 15 seconds to over a minute depending on the size and features of your device. If your device has an adjustable temperature, you'll find that lower temperatures provide more flavorful, smoother hits, while higher temperatures result in thicker clouds that have a more powerful effect. Most vaping devices offer temperature settings that fall within 315(157c) to 440(226c) degrees F.
- Take a hit: When the device has heated up properly, you can take a hit. Place your lips over the mouthpiece and inhale at a steady, slow pace. Many people recommend taking in a small breath of regular air after finishing your hit to help push the vapor cloud into your lungs.
- Exhale: Release the vapor cloud using the same steady, slow pace you used to take a hit. Keep in mind that you don't need to hold the vapor in your lungs for an extended period in order to feel the effects. After inhaling, you can wait just a second or two before exhaling.
- Continue your session: Continue to take hits from your device until you've achieved the desired effects. Remember that if you're using a conduction vaping device, the dry herb will continue to burn even when you're not actively inhaling, so you might want to take shorter breaks in between hits.
- Turn off the heat: Make sure to power off your device once your session is done. Allow the vaporizer to cool completely before you store it or clean it.
If it's your first time using a dry herb vaporizer, start with a few small hits to see how you feel before continuing. Even though many people find the effects of smoking to be stronger than vaping, it's wise to start slowly in order to discover your own comfort level in terms of consumption.
TIPS FOR VAPING HERB
Using a dry herb vaporizer is fairly simple. However, there are some tips you should keep in mind to make the most of each vaping session, including:
- Grinding helps: It's important to grind your dry herb well before you vape. An uneven grind for your herbal flower will result in inconsistent cooking when heat is applied, so make sure the bud is ground to an even size. A fine grind that is not too tightly packed also creates more surface area for the heat to come into contact with.
- Redistribute the herb: To help make sure that all of the dry herb in your chamber is exposed to heat, stir it gently about halfway through your session. You can use a small, thin tool to do this without packing in the herb too tightly or accidentally knocking some out of the chamber.
- Try different temperatures: Different strains of herbs heat up best at different temperatures.
- Clean your device regularly: Give your dry herb vaporizer a thorough cleaning every few sessions. This will help to improve your device's performance and extend its lifespan. Be sure to check for broken or worn out components (such as clogged filters) and replace them as necessary.
HOW TO CLEAN YOUR VAPORIZER
Keeping your dry herb vaporizer clean is fairly simple, even if you're a beginner when it comes to vaping herbs. While concentrates leave behind more residue in a vaporizer, dry herb can be cleaned out quickly and easily.
You'll need the following cleaning supplies:
- Small soft bristle brush
- Canned air
- Isopropyl alcohol
- Cotton swabs
- Toothpicks or pin
- Cotton cloth
Generally, you can follow these steps to ensure that your vape device stays in good shape:
#1. Allow your dry herb vaporizer to cool completely after using it. You don't want to start the cleaning process until all of the heating elements have cooled down or you could risk burning your fingers. To be safe, wait for about an hour after vaping to clean your device.
#2. Disassemble the device. Place each of the parts on a paper plate or paper towel to keep them dry and prevent them from getting lost during the cleaning process.
#3. Gently clean the dry herb chamber by rubbing it with a soft bristle brush. This will loosen any dust and debris that may have settled there. Turn the chamber upside down to let these particles fall out. Use the canned air to remove any remaining particles. Dip a cotton swab into some isopropyl alcohol and wipe down the dry herb chamber to disinfect it.
#4. Carefully poke your filter screen with a pin or toothpick to unclog it. The fine point should be able to dislodge any debris without damaging your screen. Use a cotton swab dipped in isopropyl alcohol to disinfect the screen once it's unclogged.
#5. Use a cotton cloth to wipe down the mouthpiece thoroughly. Dab a cotton swab in isopropyl alcohol to disinfect it.
#6. Leave all the pieces of your vaporizer out to air dry before reassembling your device.
For moderate herb users, a dry herb vaporizer only needs to be cleaned about once a week or so. However, you may want to consider cleaning the mouthpiece after each use, especially if you share the vape with other users. This will help to prevent the growth of bacteria.